library/x11/, and cleaned up some of his utility words. I got it to the stage where a GLX window rendering Factor UI gadgets is displayed, however input does not work yet.
Here is my rough list of goals for Factor 0.81:
- Finish Cocoa and X11 UI backends
- Make the UI faster, write some new graphical tools
- Wait for Doug Coleman to finish the Windows UI backend :-)
Basically 0.81 is all about callbacks in the FFI, and the new super-duper platform-tuned UI.
Developing Factor has been a great educational experience for me. I taught myself many new things:
- The C language
- x86, PowerPC and AMD64 assembly
- Cocoa (although my first exposure to Cocoa was a commercial gig, I still learned a lot more about Cocoa internals while writing the Factor Cocoa binding)
- X11 - learning it right now
- Language design and implementation techniques
- I even learned JVM bytecode so I could write the early JFactor compiler...