Monday, August 27, 2007

Back from Austin

I'm back in Ottawa. Doug, Ed, and all of their friends are very cool and lots of fun to hang out with! Once again, my luggage has been delayed en route, and I'll only get it Tuesday at the earliest. I wonder if the baggage handling infrastructure runs on Java, implemented by the regulars from JavaLobby?

Factor 0.90 will be released before the end of the month. I only have two things left on my to do list! I need to test on all platforms, then I have to fix one last bug concerning UI redraw on certain Windows systems.

I think I will aim for shorter release cycles in the future; say, 2 or 3 weeks. I'll limit the amount of new functionality in each release, so that it doesn't take so long for things to settle down. In the long term, I might try to get rid of releases altogether, and instead have daily builds; a daily build will only be uploaded if all unit and integration tests pass, and if all contributed modules load, and maybe even if there are no major performance regressions in benchmarks. It would be cool to automate something like this.

No comments: