Monday, February 19, 2007

Factor ported to OpenBSD/x86

Factor in darcs now runs on OpenBSD/x86. Porting to OpenBSD on top of PowerPC, ARM and other CPU architectures is trivial but not automatic: unlike Linux, the ucontext_t structure, used in signal handlers, is CPU-specific.

You will need to install a gcc version more recent than 3.3 on your OpenBSD box. Upgrading gcc seems to be a non-trivial affair.

Also, at one time we had testers for Solaris/x86 and Linux/PPC. Not anymore, unfortunately, and recent changes to the runtime and FFI lead me to believe that Factor may no longer work on these platforms. I'm going to test Factor on Linux/PPC before releasing 0.88, but I don't have the time, inclination or hardware to maintain a Solaris/x86 install. If you're interested in seeing support, please post to the mailing list or drop by #concatenative.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was able to log into a Solaris/amd64 machine and make some slight adjustments (I sent you the patches). I've not been able to test the X11 interface, but the tty interface seems to be working just fine with those patches.

Slava Pestov said...

Much appreciated!